Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Moisture Control Is The Key To Mold Control
Did you know one of the most effective ways to limit mold is to mitigate water damage as quickly as possible? "Moisture control is the key to mold control. When water leaks or spills occur indoors-act promptly. A prompt response (within 24-48 hours) and thorough clean-up, drying, and/or removal of water-damaged materials will prevent or limit mold growth." Quoated from OSHA
Water extraction to remove excessive amounts of water followed by fast, thorough drying of the structure and contents is important in preventing mold growth. In the event mold remediation is required, SERVPRO will perform mold remediation work according to industry standards.
Empty Houses Are A Breeding Ground For Mold
Vacant homes can be breeding grounds for mold growth. Quite often we are called to a vacant home that is up for sale or the renter has moved out. The realtor/rental agent has come to show the home and finds mold growing on the walls. Mold can be seen growing most often in the upper wall locations, though it is not unusual to see growth at the lower wall levels as well. Closets that have been closed will quite often have the worst mold growth, partly because they are dark and mold loves the dark.
What could cause this? No broken water lines are found, the water is usually turned off to the home. Sometimes the HVAC system is off and that is the source of the problem. Having the heating and air turned off creates a high humidity level in the home. When the HVAC system is off there is no airflow circulating in the home therefore the air becomes stagnant. This is the perfect scenario for mold development.
Here are some tips on preventing mold issues in vacant homes:
- Always keep some heat and air running in the home. Set temperature so heat or air runs periodically during the day.
- Open closet doors to allow for airflow and light to enter.
- A ceiling fan left on low can help circulate the air in the home.
- Open window treatments/blinds at least ¼ open to allow in extra light. Remember, mold loves the dark.
- Visit the home occasionally. Just opening the doors and entering the structure allows for the exchange of fresh air and extra airflow. It’s also a great way to catch any issues before they become serious problems
Mold in the House: SERVPRO of Plainfield / Naperville South provides mold remediation for your home or office
When mold is discovered, SERVPRO of Plainfield / Naperville South will provide an assessment, containment and expert mold remediation
Discovering mold in your home or office can be alarming. If mold is discovered, you can contact SERVPRO for an assessment before taking any action. First things first, do not attempt to clean, scrub or disturb mold, as the spores will easily distribute into the air. If you have fans or an open window nearby blowing in the area, turn it off or eliminate any breezes. Mold spreads easily and by scrubbing it or allowing wind to reach the affected area, the spores will simply move to another area.
Removing Mold from the House or Office
Calling a mold remediation expert like SERVPRO will allow for a number of actions to take place. The first thing we do is find the source of the mold. There may be a leak, a water or moisture source that contributed to the mold growth. Our trained mold technicians will find the source, eliminate further damage, assess the situation, contain the existing problem and remove the mold. Also, we will professionally clean the affected areas and contents, as well as provide air filtration and provide any restoration, if needed.
What to do with Mold
If you find mold in the house or office, again, here are a few tips on what to do (and what not to do):
- Do not touch or scrub mold
- Turn off any fans or blowing air (HVAC)
- Do not spray any bleach or chemicals on the mold
- Do not try to dry the area or use any heaters (you will spread spores)
- Call SERVPRO of Plainfield / Naperville South
Plainfield and Naperville South Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Be careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Plainfield/Naperville South for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Plainfield/Naperville South specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (630) 369-9710